Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Award.....

Well first of all thank you very much Lops for nominating me for this award although I do not deserve it yet.

I am deviating from your rule list little bit and writing about few inspiring awards of life which I got from various sources instead of 7 beautiful things around me. I hope you will be kind enough to approve this deviation.
My Primary School…

I completed my primary school education in Shri C.D.Sanghvi Kumar shala. It was located in Savarkundala a very small town in Saurashtra, Gujarat. The methodology of teaching and the co curricular activities which school was organizing even though it was very small school from very remote and small town were amazing. I wish all villages and small towns of India get such wonderful educational institutes which inculcates values, spirit, knowledge and wisdom in students. Each Prize I won in different competition here in this school is so precious to me. Co curricular activities and sports activities must be integral part of curriculum in all schools. It is essential for over all development of student.

NCC…

I joined National Cadet Corps during my high school. The 2 years Training of NCC transformed me and taught me Importance of Unity, Team work and Discipline. I still remember my annual training camp of 3 Gujarat NCC girls Battalion at Kodinar, Gujarat. First time I came across daily routine of Defense personnel that time as we were strictly instructed to follow the same there. I won Best Cadet Award in the Camp and won Prize in shooting competition. These two achievements will remain very special to my heart always. I really wish that training of NCC should be made compulsory at least for 2 years for every student in India. This will help us to convert a normal human being in to an ethical, disciplined and tough citizen of this nation. Young India needs it.

Science Seminar….

I won first prize in District Level Science Seminar when I was studying in 9th Standard. I spoke on Environmental Issues which is getting neglected in age of scientific innovations. I was the only girl speaker in all 30 participants from various schools of different cities of Amreli District. One of my Science teachers Mr.Yogesh was also accompanying me in the competition.

Due to heavy rains, our bus reached late. By the time we managed to reach the venue, the seminar was already started and 3 speakers finished their speeches. With lots of arguments my teacher was successful to convince jury members to allow me to participate. I still remember facial expression of one of the jury member. He was looking at me and told with strange tone: ‘What this girl will speak in this competition, can you see no girls are participating in this competition, it is simply not forte of girls you know. Simply to get one participant certificate why girls high school students travels all the way from Amreli I don’t understand’. His harsh tone was clearly showing his assumption of Women in India does not have enough brain power to have knowledge of science.

Even though my teacher and I were very angry; we managed to keep our cool. We promised him only one thing that if we are given a chance we will not disappoint their expectation. I was given green signal to participate in Seminar only on one condition that I will have to speak last after all other participants finish their speech.

After I finished my speech, I still remember there was big round of applause in the seminar hall and sound of clapping didn’t stop for 5 minutes. I felt really satisfied and proud. There was tradition of taking audience feedback before result announcement and prize distribution ceremony there. Host of the evening asked feedback randomly to few students in the hall.

One student from the audience gave his feedback: ‘Hetal when you came to speak we all were very exhausted after listening to 29 speeches. As you were last speaker we knew that within 5 minutes competition will be over. It was our assumption that being a girl and that too from Guajarati medium high school you will not be able to deliver good speech in science seminar. But you proved all of us wrong. We will remember your speech for years to come.’ These wordings and acknowledgement of my speech was more valuable to me than first prize which I won that day.

I just turned and looked straight into eyes of that jury member who did his best to stop me from participating. I knew he got answer to his question, what girls can speak in Science Seminar……
As I am new to Blogger world I cannot nominate more people. Lopa has already nominated all whom I know J in this blogger world except one and so I nominate Uday for this award.

2 comments:

~ Lopa said...

Wow, New Template... nice nice :)

It's always nice to go back to those adolescence memories !
Nicely put Hetal :)

Keep writing :)

Hetal said...

@Lops: Thanks Lopa for pouring positive inspiring words...

Post a Comment