Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hawa se Bate......

I went for terrestrial Parasailing at Jakkur Aerodrome, Bangalore with my friend Parul. It was my first hands on experience with aero sports. Parasailing is also known as parascending. It is not only a thrilling aero adventure sport but also among the safest adventure sport.

Those days I was new in Bangalore city and hardly had any friends to spend time with during holidays or weekends. I wanted to explore unusual and unique activity to get rid of boredom of weekends very desperately. That’s how Parasailing idea clicked in my mind.

After doing so much surfing on internet somehow I managed to get address of Jakkur Aerodrome and details of Parasailing organizers of Bangalore. I shared my thought with my friend Parul and to my surprise she also wanted to join me for Parasailing. I was so delighted that I got company of another Ghanchakkar with me for this stunt.

Parasailing is an exhilarating experience; soaring high in air and floating like a bird. For terrestrial parasailing all you need is a transport vehicle to pull you into the air under a parasail. A parasail works on the same principles as kites, the only difference is that a person is attached to the other end of the string instead of a kite.


The attached transport mechanically pulls the parasailor along with the parasail, causing the parachute to inflate. As the transport medium continues to pull, the parachute is ready to go up in the air. The person attached with it takes three or four quick steps and takes a flight in the air like a glider.

A parasailor can go up to a height of 300 feet in the air. The parasailor has little or no control over the parachute. The control rests with the person driving the transport. The length of the towrope restricts the height gained by a parasail. A parasailor achieves a height two-thirds the length of the rope.

My experience when I went high in air was so unique and refreshing that I cannot explain in words. I felt like I touched the sky. Floating in air like a bird took me to different world altogether. For few seconds I felt the tingle in my stomach when I went up but after that I just got lost in sky to cherish that heavenly experience. I just wanted to go up, up, and away!

One cannot gauge the sheer joy of soaring high in the sky, hundreds of feet above the earth until and unless one experiences it. I never wanted to come down once I went up in the air. Truly it was not only an adrenalin-packed thrill ride but experience of life time.

There are plenty of opportunities for those who wish to try parasailing in Bangalore. Adventure clubs such as Venture Adventure Club, Horizon Adventure Club and India Adventure Club offer parasailing for adventure lovers. Terrestrial parasailing is organized in the city throughout the year except in monsoon season. A joy ride in Bangalore costs between Rs 250 and Rs 400 depending on the organizations taking the bookings. So what are you waiting friends get ready for fun.

9 comments:

Dhara said...

Oh wow Hetal, Even by reading I can sense the fun u had. I wish I had done it while I was there, but anyways , have chance malshe to will do it for sure.

~ Lopa said...

Nice post Hetal.

I Haven't done it yet, but we did Parasailing on water where transport is a boat. We were a bit scared as we didnt know swimming in case we fall...hehehe and also people around were scaring us with horrible stories of how landing on land had ended up in accidents and so it is now banned to land on land and so only possible through boat in sea...haha

Well to be honest we were so thrilled, and we had expected more out of it, Like when i was in air, i didn't feel anything, it was too stable and too safe !
Yes it was nice to be in the air, it was a wonderful feeling to watch sunset and all, but i had no butterflies in my stomach while there and i had expected more of those feeling making it more exciting and memorable ...lol Ya i am one hell of a Ghanchakkar...hehehe

Hetal said...

@Dhara: Yes dear... grab your chance next time and dont miss this fun :)

Hetal said...

@Lopa: Yes dear you are talking about aquatic parasailing, and it is in my things to do list as well :) hope i will be able to experience that very soon :).

Anonymous said...

The feeling of floating along the sky and swimming under the current is something totally out of the world ! I has wished I would do both someday. Can you give address of Jakkur Aerodrome and details of Para sailing organizers of Bangalore? It will help (pseudo ?) enthusiastics like me..

Hetal said...

@Ideastoenlighten: You can contact 9945880391, http://www.adventureindia.in generally every week end they organise parasailing at jakkur. Jakkur aerodrome is located in Yelahanka area on Bellary road. Not sure of the route may be you can take help from google map... Hope you will also enjoy and have fun there....

~ Lopa said...

But i don't think the feeling will differ as basically both are same, only diff one is pulled by truck or some other vehicle and one by boat. But for one who is attacked with Parachute it might be same being in air ! hehehe

See even definition of Parasailing says it is usually by boat ...

"Parasailing, also known as parascending, is a recreational activity where a person is towed behind a vehicle (usually a boat) while attached to a specially designed parachute, known as a parasail."

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasailing

And after reading your post and my experience i googled it and most of them mention it that, on land one is not very safe.
In Europe there is a requirement that you need to have insurance for it if you want to do it...hehe

Hetal said...

@Lopa: Here in India both terrestrial and acquatic parasailing are equally popular. The risk factor is obviusly attached with any adventure sports so which one is safer is very debatable issue :). as far as feel of both forms are concerned i think it will differ as the view which you enjoy from up in the air is different in both forms, in terrestrail parasailing you will see earth beneth while in acquatic parasailing we will have water, water and only water...... In any country if adventure sports is organised by a ceritfied authorised group insurance will be there by default. Generally for this kind of activities organisers do have special insurance cover for all participants...

~ Lopa said...

In acquatic parasailing also you see everything and not only water as one is not that deep in water that there is only water visible !

I haven't yet tried terrestrial parasailing so I am not the right person to comment on that, but one i tries wasn't that much thrilling as i had expected !
In Goa, they have banned terrestrial parasailing when we were there last time, now only acquatic parasailing.

And yes, i agree, when we book for this experience at authorised comp, they also charge to cover insurance for the same.

Post a Comment