Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Munnar Anytime.....Every time! [God's Own Country-2]

Munnar Anytime.....Every time! This line I found somewhere on net when I was trying to collect as much as information on tourist places in Kerala before my planned visit in January 2011. What a place it is! After visiting Munnar really I found this line truest to its meaning.

Munnar, a small hill station located at altitude of 6000 ft in Idukki district of Kerala; merely 4-5 hours drive from Cochin Airport. Once you have visited this place you simply cannot forget its breathtaking ever expanding tea estates, various hydra projects’ tourism spots and sanctuaries. A fresh air filled with aroma of Spice to add up in to the list. In short a gateway to relaxing and rejuvenating destination.


This is the place where first time I saw a cardamom plant ever in my life! As we all know Cardamom is termed as Queen of Spices! Our driver took special interest and tried to explain us entire process of how cardamom is dried up and sold in market once it is harvested from plant. But to our irony of understanding his kind of Malayalam English we hardly understood a bit of it.

So after coming back from the trip I had to Google about the same. I must say it is quite long a process this queen of spices undertakes before getting into shape! Whoever is interested can find initial information from links as follows:






Following is few bits and pieces of information of the places or facts which I liked the most here.

Eravikulam National Park

The Western Ghats, Anamalai Sub-Cluster, including all of Eravikulam National Park, is under consideration by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee for selection as a World Heritage Site.

26 species of mammals have been recorded in the park including the largest surviving population of Nilgiri Tahr (mountain goat), estimated at about 750 in number. IF you are lucky enough then you will be able to see one of them. I must confess luck was not in favor of mine so I couldn’t see any of them! You can also view Anamudi mountain peak which is the highest point in India outside the Himalaya-Karakoram mountain range from this national park.

Six mini-buses are operated by park staff as part of the visitor-management program as well as a pollution-control measure. Private vehicles are not allowed within the park. INR 35 is charged per head as an entry fee for Indian nationals. Foreign nationals are charged INR 200 per head.

Tea Plantations:

‘Taza Ho le.....’ yes you guessed it right, this is the tag line of TATA Tea advertisements on TV now a days! How apt it is...your inner self will be full of renewed and refreshing energy when you are passing by these breathtaking tea plantations in Munnar. I would suggest it is better to hire a two wheeler bike from local vendors in Munnar town to visit these plantations. Generally at rent of Rs. 300 per day bikes are available. The feel will be entirely different and more enjoyable if you roam around in Munnar in a two wheeler rather than a Car.



Neelakurinji Flowers

Neelakurinji a flower which paints the hills in blue colour once in twelve years in month of August to December. The Neelakurinji, was blossomed last in 2006. Yes I missed it that time but again next year i.e. 2012 I have a chance to see them blooming. I am not fool enough to miss that one so Kerala this Ghanchakkar will come again in 2012 be prepared!!!!

Apart from above there are places like Mattupetty dam, Top station, Echo point which you can visit and get lost in serenity of Munnar! Hope I can visit this place anytime and everytime I visit Kerala!!!

4 comments:

Nithya said...

Hey count me in when you go to see the special flowers blossom.. Gal u going places...Thanks for the info... very helpful for my next plan....

Hetal said...

@Nithya: Ye hui na bat! It will be a great fun trip girl! Hope in reality we can plan one together with our junglee BK group just like the Khau gali trip in AHD!!!

Unknown said...

Hey thr, very nice blog and pics. Me and my hubbie are planning to hire a scooter/activa in Munnar and roam around places. Was wondering if the hills roads are safe to ride as I will be riding in parts. Did you guys switch off engine while going downhill? Need some Tips, Thanks, Kusum.

Hetal said...

Hi Kusum welcome to my blog... I went to Munnar in 2006 that time Road condition was pretty good... however I can not comment on current situation there!!! Hope you enjoy your trip!!!

Post a Comment